Sunday, September 4, 2016

kilt-hoses and making shoes

You know already that we have a homestead, were we grow our own food, having livestock etc. but did you know that we also playing Celtic music? My husband plays the guitar very well but he also plays the bódhran, tin whistle and the recorder, I play the Celtic harp and love to sing. In our repertoire, we have most old Scottish and Irish Ballads but also other English, Irish and Scottish folksongs. For a couple of weeks ago, we did have a gig here in the neighborhood.  It was on a little fair, you know, the whole village is coming, you can buy homemade products, food and have a good time together. Just on that fair we did play!

But in my opinion you can't play Celtic music without the right clothing. So for my husband I made a kilt last year but we didn't find the right socks to it and also some nice looking (and cheap) gillies wasn't easy to find. But just a week for the fair I found some nice kilt-hoses on the internet, in Scotland of course:), a great shop, with a lot of great stuff, there I bought the socks and I hoped the delivery would be in time. And it was! So now he did have a kilt, a sporran, a shirt, kilt-hose but shoes....... were do I get these? Looking round the WorldWideWeb I did find a tutorial for making some medieval Celtic gillies, Yes! O, no.... I do need some leather, were do I get that..... Wait a minute, don't I have some old ranch work chaps? Maybe that will do and it did! First I made a pattern out of cupboard and made some changing here and there. Cut them out of the leather and did the sewing and I made my first pair of shoes! So everything was just done in time for the gig.



It was a pity that the weather was very bad that day. It was raining almost the hole time and everything was wet. We hope on better weather for the next time!

follow us on Youtube Six Oaks Music and Homestead

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chips and shavings

Chop! Chop! The chips are flying around. He gives his axe another sway. The early morning air fills with the aromatic scent of pinewood and ...