I finished my new winter coat! 100% wool both in the outer fabric, which makes it waterproof, as wool in the lining and I quilted an interlining to the lining. This makes the coat really warm.
I found a free pattern from the Godey’s ladies magazine from 1858 for a fall paletot. I did enlarge the pattern and made a muslin, although it fitted it was not what I had expected. But I used this muslin to draft a completely new pattern. After some hours of refitting, I had made my final pattern.
the orginal drawing in the magazine
quilting the lining
the pattern pieces drawn on the fabric
sewing on my singer treadle sewing machine
Made of brown wool felt with a detachable cape
The coat is closed with 8 metal buttons
and 2 button closed pockets.
Bound buttonholes and the blue-grey wool lining
Princes seams on the back
I realy like how it turned out and I love to wear it!