Tuesday, October 30, 2018

New dress


Nearly November. The days turn shorter again, certainly now after turning the clock. We worked with our little pony this afternoon but 5 o´clock it became to dark to do anything further. Speaking about the pony, he does it really well! We work him 3, 4 times a week and he is really steady. Drawing nicely and listing well to the commands. We both love to work with him.

Last summer made me realize that I´m badly prepared for hot sunny days.  All my dresses are dark blue, brown and black checked. Not really suitable colors when you’re doing the hay harvest in the sun with 35.  So now I have changed it and will be better prepared for next year! 

I made a lightweight and light-colored dress. Using a pattern this time. I like the dropping shoulder seams, but I never got clear how to make them nicely. Using the “laughing moon #111, Ladies early 1860´s day dress” pattern made it very easy to understand. The pattern came with 3 different sleeve patterns. I choose the coat sleeve, which is the most practical on the homestead. The dress itself is made of a lightweight checked cotton and I lined it with an unbleached cotton fabric.  


The skirt has knife pleats on the front, box pleats on the sides and cartridge pleats on the back, which gives it a very nice shape.  


The bodice is boned on the front and closed with buttons.

the linning and hemming of the skirt
 Of course, are the buttonholes handsewn, like most of the dress.  I like the shape of the skirt both over my starched petticoats, which I use most at home, and over my crinoline.


10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Så roligt att höra! Grattis med är nya gård och lycka till med att hitta ert livsstil. Jag skickar dig ett email.

      Delete
    2. Vet inte vad hände med din kommentar, men det är borta nu, det var inte meningen. Jag är inte så bra med datorer :( Kanske du kan skicka din mail adress en gång till :)

      Delete
    3. Haha jag vet hur det är, jag är likadan.
      Vad roligt att du vill skriva, tack!
      Min adress är Johanna.birgersson5@gmail.com
      Mvh Johanna

      Delete
  2. Oh Thea, it's wonderful! I wish I could dress like that everyday. I have a period day dress that I get to wear every once in a while for events, and it is so comfortable. You did a lovely job on it. I think I will get a pattern from the above website and work on it this winter. We have finally settled the ranch and are raising alpacas for fiber. I shall send you photos in your email. Keep up the wonderful, albeit hard, work. I enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caryl for your kind words. Great to hear that everything is going well on your ranch!

      Delete
  3. what is the foundation under the skirt? Are you wearing petticoats or a shift and hoop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the picturea with the dressform is a hoopskirt underneath but on the pictures when I´m wearing the dress, I´m wearing a corded petticoat and 5 plain petticoats.

      Delete
  4. Vilken intressant läsning och annorlunda liv ni lever! Har du på dig dessa kläder varje dag? Eller Ni rättare sagt för vad jag kan förstå har även din man det.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack för din fina svar. Jag använder denna kläder varje dag, har ingen andra kläder ;) även min man har bara hemmasydda kläder :)

      Delete

Chips and shavings

Chop! Chop! The chips are flying around. He gives his axe another sway. The early morning air fills with the aromatic scent of pinewood and ...