Friday, January 25, 2019

A Victorian winter paletot




I finished my new winter coat! 100% wool both in the outer fabric, which makes it waterproof, as wool in the lining and I quilted an interlining to the lining. This makes the coat really warm.

I found a free pattern from the Godey’s ladies magazine from 1858 for a fall paletot. I did enlarge the pattern and made a muslin, although it fitted it was not what I had expected. But I used this muslin to draft a completely new pattern. After some hours of refitting, I had made my final pattern.

 the orginal drawing in the magazine

quilting the lining


 the pattern pieces drawn on the fabric

 sewing on my singer treadle sewing machine

Made of brown wool felt with a detachable cape




The coat is closed with 8 metal buttons


and 2 button closed pockets.


Bound buttonholes and the blue-grey wool lining


Princes seams on the back


I realy like how it turned out and I love to wear it!



6 comments:

  1. That's so pretty, very well done! Your reply on Facebook mentions that you wear these garments for everyday use?! How I admire that! I wish I had the guts to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic! Love how it looks with your dress as well. I do living history interpreting at an antebellum home, so this era of clothes really grabs my attention! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, I enjoyed looking on your blog as well.

      Delete

Chips and shavings

Chop! Chop! The chips are flying around. He gives his axe another sway. The early morning air fills with the aromatic scent of pinewood and ...